Right, I've mainly been avoiding the "get my PhD" part of my challenge so far. Well, sort of - I'm still working towards my first degree so I guess by turning up to uni I'm working towards that end goal all the time.
Today we had a lovely lady come to speak to us and run a practical with us on fingerprint analysis. She's a senior forensic practitioner for the Met and it was really interesting talking to her about what she does, some of the cases she's worked and how she got into the job to begin with. Turns out she pretty much fluked her way in after her A-levels and has worked her way up over the past 8 years. Rather dishearteningly (is that a word?) she did say that for every SOCO position that is advertised the Met receive 2000 applications. Wow. I suppose I can console myself with the knowledge that I'm aiming for toxicology and lab based work as opposed to the "exciting" CSI stuff that everyone seems to think forensic science is, but still it would have been nice to think that the SOCO route was a viable option for the future.
Anyway my rambling point was too add my first few "mini-goals" for this particular challenge:
1. Make a lot more effort at finding a sandwich placement/summer placement/volunteer opportunity in a lab for at least the summer.
2. Send off my application to be a Met volunteer by the end of the month. (Not exactly a PhD related task, but career enhancing at least - in theory anyway)
Jogging wise I have done nothing since Saturday.
Procrastination wise I was very good on Sunday and yesterday but this evening hasn't gone so well. Perhaps I'll manage to do something constructive in the next half hour. Or not. Who knows?
On a positive note, the fingerprinting practical was lots of fun. It's surprisingly tricky using those cute fluffy brushes. I think our class managed to cover the entire lab in silver powder. Perhaps it's just as well I'm not heading in that direction career wise...
Tuesday, 23 March 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment