On reaching the end of Month 1/Year 1 of the TYSIC I have mixed emotions on my success so far. Generally pretty positive, but today's not gone so well so is tainting my overall rosy glow.
PhD - I'm still studying with varying degrees of success (see procratination below) but I'm on track for now. I've fallen behind on the study timetable I made so am trying to catch up with myself without lowering the standard of my notes/reading etc. I also have a coursework essay that I need to start as soon as possible too but hopefully once I've done my research I'll be able to do that without too much angst. I've probably jinxed myself with that sentence - watch this space for me pulling my hair out over it over the next week or so. Also on the long list of things to sort out are two draft essays to be submitted to my programme leader. They're only draft efforts but I feel more worried about these than the real coursework - she's a little scary!
Procrastination - I am trying to tackle this day to day. Today has not gone well but I was making improvements earlier in the week so I hope this will only be a brief lapse. I may follow the lead of a couple of fellow TYSICers and do stints when I actually disconnect myself from the internet to avoid distraction (try at least!).
Jogging - as mentioned earlier in the week it's going reasonably well. I fear this Saturday's jog with Becky will be postponed until Monday as she's helping with a house move but I may be brave and try and go ON MY OWN tomorrow morning. Perhaps. Please don't be holding your breath here though guys.
Mini goal: be more proactive with searching for sandwich placements - I applied for 3 placements this week with GSK, based in Stevenage or Ware. I'm excited as it would be a fantastic employer to have on my CV as a placement year. Also terrified because the spec of the placements are almost baffling to me, so I may have to blag my way in entirely if they contact me. Lastly, nervous as I'd have to relocate which I'm happy to do but it would be a large step out of my comfort zone and I'd have to front it out for a while, faking it to make it as it were. I will endeavour to track down more opportunities and apply for those too.
Mini goal: send my application off to the Met Volunteer Programme by the end of March 2010 - COMPLETED!! I even received an email back this morning thanking me for my interest, however they're currently recruiting to a waiting list and are unlikely to have anything for me for six months. Ah well, I'm on file though so at least I made that step.
The rest of the week has been a little dull. I'm still suffering enforced hermitness due to the study schedule combined with lack of funds until my student loan comes through. At times I have been miserable (see earlier whingey blog) and others when I've been grateful for the internet and the lovely people that I have some vague contact with via Twitter/blogs/forum/even facebook! But hey, it's payday for the normal people now and Ryan has said he'll take me out for dinner next week (he's very good to me and incredibly patient). I will get to leave the house and socialise - whoop! I should really start working on resembling a human being again before I unleash myself on the unsuspecting public again though I guess...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment