Thursday, 8 April 2010

Two men and a chainsaw

I've been a touch jet lagged today due to a bizarre episode from the early hours of this morning which I was expand upon a little later.

TYSIC progress this week has been somewhat slow. My degree is still plodding along with the poxy essay still lingering and refusing to write itself for me.
Procrastination has reared its head once more and added to the lengthy stay of my incomplete essay. I will try and do better in the coming week.
Jogging this week was delayed by a couple of days but we ran on Monday and experimented with a different route as I mentioned in my last post.
Hunting for placements has been less successful again. Both Pfizer and Aventis both offer placements but it's now too late for me to apply to either of them. This'll teach me to listen to my uni's advice and just do whatever I think in the future. At least I've managed to have a peek at various graduate placement schemes available as possible routes when I finish this course.
My previously completed mini-goal of applying to the Met Volunteers Programme has borne some surprising fruit. After receiving initial correspondence from them to say that they're recruiting to a waiting list and there aren't any places going at the moment I wasn't expecting to hear anything more for a few months. This morning I received a letter saying that they were processing my application and would be contacting my referees! If my references are ok then they will contact me to arrange an interview - eek! I'll keep you posted.

Apologies for the brief update, I'm tired. The reason for this is the appearance of two men weilding a chainsaw outside my house at half past three this morning. I was a little baffled by this and not impressed by it at all.
I was woken by flashing lights outside and then we heard an engine revving so I assumed that a knackered bike/scooter of some sort was being collected by a recovery truck. As the noise continued it filtered through my sleepy fog of a brain that the engine sound was a little too weak even for a scooter so I peeked out of the window. There was a truck (avec flashing lights) and two fellows attacking a tree in the road with a chainsaw. After a brief discussion Ryan called the police (don't worry, not 999 - the other number) and they said they'd send a car round to have a look as it was unusual for the council to arrange such work to be carried out in the middle of the night in a built up residential area. The police car never arrived, as far as I know, but the men finished up and disappeared about 45 minutes later. Very strange, especially as the council workers around here barely do any work during the day so a night time jolly was highly irregular.
Anyhoo, when Ryan left this morning/afternoon he spoke to the very same chainsaw weilding gentlemen who had reappeared to continue tidying their handywork from the night before. Apparently the tree had fallen in the night (we didn't hear it and it was ratehr large) and blocked the entire road. As my road is a dead end it was preventing people from the other end from getting to work the next day as they couldn't get their cars past. Because of this the council instructed these two jokers to clear the road early, before commuting commenced. Why they felt the need to begin at 3.30am rather than 5.30am is anybody's guess. Idiots.

I've been jet lagged all day but have at least managed some progress with the evil essay I suppose. I hope you've all had successful TYSIC weeks my dears. Good night x

No comments:

Post a Comment